Broadly speaking, a management system is simply a set of processes and company policies that is designed to help an organisation achieve a particular goal. That goal could be anything from improving customer satisfaction to reducing waste and being more environmentally-friendly.
There are many different types of management systems, and companies all over the world use them in various combinations to drive consistent improvement and ensure maximise efficiency. Here are some of the most common management system types:
- Quality Management System - Focuses on meeting customer requirements and maintaining high quality across all products/services. The international standard for quality management systems is ISO 9001.
- Environmental Management System - Focuses on minimising the environmental impact of the company's operations (making the organisation greener, in other words). The international standard for environmental management systems is ISO 14001.
- Information Security Management System - Focuses on keeping information (e.g. financial information, passwords, personal details) secure. The international standard for information security management systems is ISO 27001.
- Energy Management System - Focuses on reducing energy usage within the organisation. The international standard for energy management systems is ISO 50001.
- Occupational Health & Safety Management System - Focuses on protecting the health and safety of everyone within the organisation, as well as members of the public who may be affected by the company's operations. The current standard for health and safety management systems is OHSAS 18001 (also known as ISO 18001), although ISO are currently developing a new standard called ISO 45001.
If your organisation needs help implementing any combination of the above management systems, please contact ISO experts NPT Management Systems today.
Image courtesy of pexels.com
It all began with a chance meeting one Saturday morning in Netley Abbey. Florist Katie Mawson was walking out of her shop with her hands full of flowers, and she was unable to open the door of her van. Neil Peattie, who happened to be walking past at that moment, simply offered to open the van door for her, but one thing led to another and Katie was soon telling Neil all about how she was preparing for one of her busiest days of the year: Mother's Day.
Neil listened with interest and offered Katie some advice. Two hours later, with a series of notes written on the back of paper normally used for wrapping flowers, Katie Mawson had been given a crash course in a couple of Lean Tools:
- 5S - A spontaneous and continuous improvement of working environment and working conditions
- 7 Wastes - Identifying unprofitable activity within your organisation
"At first, I was struggling to see how what Neil was telling me could be applied to a florist's shop in Netley Abbey. To be honest, I thought that he was slightly crazy! After walking Neil through a couple of processes such as making a bouquet of flowers, Neil was able to show me how some simple visual management tools could help me - I'm now confident that no time will ever be lost again looking for lost scissors! We'll also be using some of the techniques to help make beautiful bouquets in the most efficient way in the run up to Mother's Day."
- Katie Mawson, Owner of Katie Mawson Floral Design
If you are interested in learning more about Lean techniques and how they could benefit your business, please contact NPT Management Systems today.
Alternatively, if you are looking for a beautiful bouquet of flowers for Mother's Day (Sunday the 26th of March 2017), visit Katie Mawson Floral Design at 30 Station Road, Netley Abbey, Southampton, Hampshire, SO31 5AF.
Image Source: facebook.com/KatieMawsonFloralDesign
All too often, attempts to achieve real improvement within an organisation fail to get results because the managers are aiming for a one-off fix instead of for sustained growth over time. Continuous improvement should be the goal, and this can be attained via a solid continuous business improvement programme.
Of course, these programmes are only effective if everyone in your company understands how to work with the programme and implement it in every area of the business. Fortunately, we at NPT Management Systems don't just help you to plan your continuous improvement programme - we can also provide in-depth continuous improvement training sessions for your staff to ensure that they have full understanding of (and confidence in) the new system. With our training, your employees will be capable of:
- Identifying business process problems
- Resolving process problems quickly
- Assuming a leadership role when solving process problems
We will also make sure that everyone is well-versed in such important improvement tools as process mapping, cause and effect diagrams, and pareto diagrams.
For more information about our continuous improvement training service, please contact NPT Management Systems today.
Conducting an internal quality audit can have real benefits for your organisation, but many business owners struggle to carry out a thorough, effective audit that delivers the desired results. Fortunately, you don't have to handle this potentially challenging task alone - here at NPT, we excel at conducting efficient, comprehensive quality audits and helping companies to improve their quality management processes.
Here are a few of the reasons why NPT Management Systems are the perfect choice for your internal quality audit:
- We offer an independent view. It can sometimes be difficult to take an objective view of a business when you play a large role in that business and its processes. We can offer an experienced, independent assessment of your business and give you knowledgeable advice on how to improve it.
- We keep you on schedule. When you're busy helping customers and running your business, an internal quality audit can sometimes fall by the wayside. NPT Management Systems will ensure that your audit stays on track and reaches completion within the designated period.
- We offer a comprehensive service. We can help you to plan and conduct your internal audit; we can also design and implement a robust QMS (Quality Management System) that will allow your company to achieve ISO 9001 certification.
Contact NPT Management Systems today to discuss your quality audit requirements with an experienced quality specialist.
Neil Peattie, our Principal Consultant, attended a two-day ISO 9001:2015 auditor transition course this week. This IRCA-certified course was designed to bring qualified ISO 9001 consultants up to speed with the latest revision of the global standard, and it culminated in a written examination, which we're pleased to announce that Neil passed with flying colours!
All of which is just another example of our commitment to training and advancement here at NPT Management Systems. We know that our industry is always changing, and we make it a priority to ensure that our knowledge and skills are totally up-to-date at all times. As you may be aware, ISO 9001 is just one of our many specialist areas; we also help businesses to implement ISO 14001-compliant environmental management systems, ISO 27001-compliant information security management systems, continual improvement programmes, and so on. In order to provide each of these services, our consultants are required to be aware of the latest developments and in possession of any relevant qualifications.
This is a big part of makes NPT Management Systems stand out from the competition. When you look for a consultant, it's important to check their professional qualifications - many consultants in our industry have few or no qualifications with any relevance to ISO 9001:2008 or ISO 9001:2015 auditing at all. We at NPT, on the other hand, are fully qualified to design and implement a wide variety of high-quality management systems.
Furthermore, we are exceptionally quick to familiarise ourselves with new areas of expertise as soon as they arise; for example, Neil is actually one of the very first people to have passed the aforementioned ISO 9001:2015 course, a fact of which we’re rightly proud!
Click here to learn more about our qualifications and credentials, or contact us to let us know what we can do for you.